Alt Text 6
Navigation

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting :: View topic - Cypress Gardens and Wild Adventurers SOLD!

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index Forum FAQ Search Usergroups Memberlist Profile Log in to check your private messages

Cypress Gardens and Wild Adventurers SOLD!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> Concourse Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daguru
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:04 pm    Post subject: Cypress Gardens and Wild Adventurers SOLD! Reply with quote

While I know there are not Disney parks, but I thought I would mention this anyways...

The company that owns Cypress Gardens (Winter Garden, FL) and Wild Adventurer's (Valdosta, Ga) recently filled for bankruptcy... Part of that was to put the two parks up for sale.... Well, the parks are one step away from new owners....

Here is the local Valdosta article regarding the sale: http://www.valdostadailytimes.com/homepage/local_story_270012402.html

I'm really only mentioning it because for 10+ years, Wild Adventurer's was the only theme park we went too, because it was in our hometown. It was a great place to get away, ride a few rides, catch a few shows, and kill several hours...

In the last few years, they had really expanded WA, including opening go-cart tracks, a water park, and a brand new music arena...

In 2004, people thought they were crazy when they purchased Cypress Gardens, even though most people did't have any other ideas on how to keep CG open... Everyone said they wouldn't be able to compete with Disney, Universal, SeaWorld, etc.....

Now, while he wasn't making a dent into those mega-powers, but he did turn CG around and doing better business than they had in the last few years... The downfall of CG was the same thing that hurt a lot of people, the hurricane's in 2004...

While CG was being rennovated and improved, the park was hit by 4 hurricanes and caused $30 million worth of damage... Why did this hurt the park? It caused the rennovations to take longer, cost more money, and killed the buzz of the park reopenning. What also hurt the parks, the $20 million the insurance companies didn't and still haven't paid... Their insurance companies have only paid $10 million of the $30 million... This was too much debt for they to float the parks until their litigation continues....

So, what does the future hold...

Well, the parks will no longer be sister parks, there will be two different buyers...

WA is to be purchased by Herschend Entertainment, which owns and operates parks such as Stone Mountain, Silver Dollar City, and Dollywood.

CG is being purchased by a local developer, Land South Holdings.
fireurgunz
Skycap
Skycap

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just Bad Business! Oh well, WDW, Universal and Sea World is worth it for me. I have to from San Francisco so I expect Flordia to have nothing but WDW. Very Happy (That's just me)
Figmentathm
UAB's 1st Boston Marathon Finisher

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many years ago, back in the 80's, all the package tours at least from up this way included a day at Cypress Gardens. It was always a popular destination with the older crowd. Twice we went on those tours. The day was always a quiet day compared to going through the other parks. They had a kiddie land that was never busy, an alligator and reptile show, beautiful gardens with Southern Belles roamimg about. But the big attraction was the water sking show. I have never seen anything like that before or since.

I was glad when I heard it had been purchassed a few years ago. Hope it doesn't become condos and a golf course.
WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was at CG a few years ago with my daughters and had a great relaxing time. Shame it is closing again...
CTKnight3
Airline Food and Beverage
Airline Food and Beverage

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cypress Gardens was a gem and it is sad to see it suffering. I am not really one for flowers, but it is a relaxing day...great model trains...southern belles add class.

Two problems though...my niece (9) was pointing out the cute bunny...she did not see the cute alligater three feet from the cute bunny...I thought it was a good time to head elsewhere...

Went on the boat ride...during the ride they told us about the "cursed" tree and after passing under it said if you were single you would never get married...Gee some warning would have been nice...either way
daguru
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a great article about the future of Wild Adventurer's... It is a long and very indepth article, from the local paper...

If your interested in the park, it's a good read...

http://www.valdostadailytimes.com/business/local_story_342205013.html?keyword=topstory
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> Concourse Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: