Haunted Mansion Teleport
Navigation

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting :: View topic - UAB DL Mini-Meet in June

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index Forum FAQ Search Usergroups Memberlist Profile Log in to check your private messages

UAB DL Mini-Meet in June
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> UAB Travel Agency
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ellory
Commander in Chief #1
Commander in Chief #1

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, Kids...it's now or never!!! We're getting in the car, and heading off to DLR!!! Kim's going to drive, because I'm going to be bouncing up and down in the backseat, all the way!! Looking forward to seeing everyone, there!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ltldeb
Commander in Chief #1
Commander in Chief #1

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't bounce too hard. You'll hit your head.

Have a great time everyone!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
kray
Business Class Ticket Holder
Business Class Ticket Holder

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a great day! Wish we were there with you...so take a ride on the Matterhorn for us! Very Happy
C33
Airplane Inspector
Airplane Inspector

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a day! Our group was challenged by everything from heat, to cell phone tag across DLR, to car troubles...

While it was very very hot the heat apparently drove many to stay away from the resort, as crowds were relatively light and queues were short accross the board. Space Mountain was a 30 minute wait at mid day, as was Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage, and Buzz, Star Tours, Pirates, Haunted Mansion and Big Thunder hovered between 10-15 minutes and walk-on.

Due to the aforementioned troubles some were not able to attend, but we still had a group of 12 happy UABers at the Blue Bayou. Highlights included our general inability to read the menu (many well-prepared UABers pulled out pocket flashlights), a charming toast by Angus, and a check-dividing scheme more convoluted (though more entertaining) than the plot of Indiana Jones 4.

I finally got in my first ride on Toy Story Midway Mania, which was bang on it's posted 50 minute wait time. The wait in and of itself was fine but the sun's rays and the lack of air conditioning even in covered parts of the queue made it much more difficult. The ride was a lot of fun, my only disappointment being that Mr. Potato Head was broken down (they eventually covered his stage with the tarps).

Thanks to Ellory for being our fearless leader for the day, and to Damien for making the reservations.

I'd also like to give a shout out to Allisonwonderland, who I will hopefully meet when and if the stars align on a trip through the Haunted Mansion. Maybe third try's the charm?
Ellory
Commander in Chief #1
Commander in Chief #1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You said it C33......I'll be posting pictures of everyone, as soon as we get back. Thanks to everyone! Thanks Damian for the reservations. It was a great dinner! we missed you!

Full report coming when we get back! Very Happy

I'm off to buy sun-block! I look like a tomato!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
eatmon74
Airline Jet Fuel Attendant
Airline Jet Fuel Attendant

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I learned three things from the Mini-Meet. !) Always get seperate checks when dining in a large group. 2) 100 plus temps and Disney themeparks are not as much fun. 3) We have some of the freindliest and fun to be around people on this site. I look forward to doing thi agian at some point. Very Happy
MikeA
Airline Food and Beverage
Airline Food and Beverage

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was great to meet everyone, and I second Eatmons' comment about a great group of people. This whole internet thing might just work out huh. It was like meeting old friends.

I cant believe I sat there during the whole meal and didnt take a single picture, but I was able to meet up with Ellory and Kim during the day and thought I'd post a pic here.

Thanks Ellory for putting this together, and thanks to all who could attend. It's made for another great Disney memory !!
Ellory
Commander in Chief #1
Commander in Chief #1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, well Kim and I were supposed to return yesterday..but due to over-booking...we opted to stay an extra night (at United airlines expense) and get 2 free tickets! Can't beat that. I'll work on posting pictures and a report of the mini-meet, when we finish unpacking....seeing what damage the kids caused to the house...and read all our mail.

Thanks again to everyone who attended!
onecutemoose
Bouncing Between Wonderland & Neverland

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was a great little meet up! I wasn't able to make the 1000 meet up at the castle due to a conflict... After lunch time Ma and I met up with Ellory, Eatmon & wife and Kim. We went off with Ellory and Kim for a bit to enjoy the Jedi Training Acadamy and a thrilling ride on Splash Mountain! We all slit up again before meeting up at the Blue Bayou.

Supper was great! We had a really great group of folks...I think I talked non-stop with Kim the entire meal--it was fabulous! This was my first time back since the menu change. The prices are definitely higher--my meal met the bar, I had the filet with taters and veggies and it was superb!

I sure hope to meet up with you guys again!

: )[/i]
RavenStGermaine
Curbside Attendant
Curbside Attendant

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you guys had a great time! I can't wait to see pics. If there's another meet up going on at WDW like last year, I'll have to come down for that.
Ellory
Commander in Chief #1
Commander in Chief #1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so here's how the Mini-Meet went:

Kim and I woke up very early to get to DLR at 9am. We were staying in Mission Viejo. Since we arrived a bit early, we decided to go on a couple of rides to kill some time, before meeting at the castle at 10am. So...we went on Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, Pinocchio, The Matterhorn Bobsleds (I forgot how jerky that one was), and Star Tours. As we walked up to the castle, we saw MikeA standing there, with his camera around his neck. We all introduced ourselves, and quickly got a cast member to take a picture of us. Please refer to the picture a couple of posts earlier by Mike, since his photo turned out much better than ours.

We made a few calls, and found out that unfortunately theEpiphany (Damien) would not be able to attend, due to some kind of car trouble....Jason (eatmon74) and his wife, C33 and his Dad, and onecutemoose and her Mom, were running a bit late, so we decided to meet up later. Mike's family was all at DCA, so he went to spend some time with them, and meet up with us for dinner later.

Jason and Ann caught up to us, a little bit later. We did HM and POTC, and went off to ride the Indiana Jones ride. After Text message tag with C33, we finally met up after Indy, and headed off to Tomorrowland for some fun there.

(from left to right: Ellory, Kim, Jason, Ann, C33, and C33's Dad)

We all went to Space Mountain. The funny thing was that Ben (C33) was wearing a cast member pin, with his name on it, and as he was walking around, listening to the area music, he was stopped by another park guest who apparently thought he worked there, and asked for directions. Ben was more than happy to help them out. I'm sure they were hoping for a Dream gift of some kind. Sorry folks!

after hanging out for a while longer, we all went our separate ways for a bit. Our next meet up would be at the Blue Bayou for dinner at 4:30.

We then got a call from onecutemoose, and her Mom, who were in the area...so we all hooked up and rode Splash Mountain.

(front to back: Kim, Ellory, Deb (onecutemoose) and her Mom)..

...and yes....I'm too cheap to buy the picture....

Dinner at the Blue Bayou with everyone was great. With one exception. We started off asking for separate checks...which would have made everything simple...but the waiter mentioned that if we put it all on one bill, we could all enjoy the 15% discount that is offered to Annual Pass holders. Since we had 2 in the group...we said "sure...why not. How much of a hassle can it be to divide things up later. Well it turned out to be a big enough hassle, that I would rather have forgone the discount, for simplicity sake.

By the way...Angus did make an appearance at dinner. He proposed a toast, we clinked glasses...and just like that.... he was gone. He said something about Beer being available at DCA, and for us not to wait up for him.

I think Deb had the server take our picture, at dinner. I'll try to get it from her and post it here.

We all said our farewells after dinner. What a great group of folks. Since this was an "unofficial" meet, we didn't do any games, or award prizes. It was just a nice way to meet a bunch of folks, who all share the same passion for Disney.

Thanks again to everyone who attended.

The following day, Kim and I went to DCA for the very first time. That was a blast...we did everything, and the longest line was for Toy Story Midway Mania (40 minutes). With the use of Fast Passes, we only waited about 10 minutes for everything else!

Last edited by Ellory on Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:42 am; edited 2 times in total
C33
Airplane Inspector
Airplane Inspector

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done! Nice report.

Funny thing about that name badge, you could by them during the whole 50th celebration, and while they look similar to actual CM badges they are a bit different. Not that that keeps people from getting them confused. I wore it that day so that it would be a littler easier to spot me (which it was). No more though, I'm never wearing it again.

Why? Because in the future I'll be wearing THIS:

Very Happy (and note that I'm wearing a Carousel of Magic shirt in the picture as well; I'm VERY branded Smile)

It was a lot of fun and hopefully we can do it again sometime. Thanks for posting the photos Ellory!
WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm... The above springs n idea to mind. Could the UAB store offer UAB Name tags for future meets? A little UAB logo with folks names engraved on them?
ltldeb
Commander in Chief #1
Commander in Chief #1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WDWFan wrote:
hmmm... The above springs n idea to mind. Could the UAB store offer UAB Name tags for future meets? A little UAB logo with folks names engraved on them?

In response to this, we've created name tags for every member that's attended a meet on official "big" meets. They've always come with a lanyard and a UAB pin. Smile

Ellory, thanks for posting your pictures. I'm glad you guys had a wonderful time. I'm sorry DP and I weren't there to share with you all.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
onecutemoose
Bouncing Between Wonderland & Neverland

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great post Ellory! It really was super fun to meet everyone. I'll send you the photo from the Blue Bayou...I still have not acquired the skills to post photos in a post.

I think our ride on Splash was great! We ended up just wet enough to stay cool until it was time to meet up again!

I'll pm you Smile

: )
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> UAB Travel Agency All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: