Alt Text 6
Navigation

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting :: View topic - The Dark Knight

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index Forum FAQ Search Usergroups Memberlist Profile Log in to check your private messages

The Dark Knight

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> Your In-Flight Entertainment
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ltldeb
Commander in Chief #1
Commander in Chief #1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:53 pm    Post subject: The Dark Knight Reply with quote

We just got home from seeing this and I got to tell you, I was really impressed with it. Jack Nicholson played the Joker very well but I think Heath Ledger pulled it off better.

Anyone else seen it? Thoughts?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
onecutemoose
Bouncing Between Wonderland & Neverland

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great to hear your review...my plan is to go tomorrow for A.M.Cinema---$5 flick!! I'm looking forward to it a lot--I really enjoyed Batman Begins and am hoping this will be even better in this series!

: )
ltldeb
Commander in Chief #1
Commander in Chief #1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears "The Dark Knight" did quite well this weekend. Here are the stats:

`Dark Knight' sets weekend record with $155.34M

By DAVID GERMAIN, Associated Press Writer Mon Jul 21, 6:29 AM ET

LOS ANGELES - Batman has sent Spidey packing as king of Hollywood's box-office superheroes.
ADVERTISEMENT

"The Dark Knight" took in a record $155.34 million in its first weekend, topping the previous best of $151.1 million for "Spider-Man 3" in May 2007 and pacing Hollywood to its biggest weekend ever, according to studio estimates Sunday.

"We knew it would be big, but we never expected to dominate the marketplace like we did," said Dan Fellman, head of distribution for Warner Bros., which released "The Dark Knight." The movie should shoot past the $200 million mark by the end of the week, he said.

Hollywood set an overall revenue record of $253 million for a three-day weekend, beating the $218.4 million haul over the weekend of July 7, 2006, according to box-office tracker Media By Numbers.

"This weekend is such a juggernaut," said Nikki Rocco, head of distribution for Universal, whose musical "Mamma Mia!" debuted at No. 2 with $27.6 million.

Factoring in higher admission prices, "Spider-Man 3" may have sold slightly more tickets than "The Dark Knight."

At 2007's average price of $6.88, "Spider-Man 3" sold 21.96 million tickets over opening weekend. Media By Numbers estimates today's average movie prices at $7.08, which means "The Dark Knight" would have sold 21.94 million tickets.

Revenue totals for "The Dark Knight" could change when final numbers are released Monday.

The movie's release was preceded by months of buzz and speculation over the performance of the late Heath Ledger as the Joker, Batman's nemesis. Ledger, who died in January from an accidental prescription-drug overdose, played the Joker as a demonic presence, his performance prompting predictions that the role might earn him a posthumous Academy Award nomination.

"The average opening gross of the last five `Batman' movies is $47 million. This tripled that, and for a reason," said Paul Dergarabedian, president of Media By Numbers. "A big part of that was the Heath Ledger mystique and a phenomenal performance that absolutely deserves the excitement surrounding it."

"The Dark Knight" reunites director Christopher Nolan with his "Batman Begins" star Christian Bale, whose vigilante crime-fighter is taunted and tested by Ledger's Joker as the villain unleashes violence and chaos on the city of Gotham.

Overseas, "The Dark Knight" added $40 million in 20 countries where it began opening Wednesday, including Australia, Mexico and Brazil. The film opens in Great Britain this weekend and rolls out to most of the rest of the world over the next few weeks.

"The Dark Knight," which cost $185 million to make, also broke the "Spider-Man 3" record for best debut in IMAX large-screen theaters with $6.2 million. "Spider-Man 3" opened with $4.7 million in IMAX cinemas.

"Every single show is sold out," said Greg Foster, IMAX chairman and president. "We're adding shows as much as we can, but we're at 100 percent capacity."

On opening day Friday, "The Dark Knight" also took in more money than previously counted, Fellman said. The film pulled in a record $67.85 million, up nearly $1.5 million from the studio's estimates a day earlier.

The previous opening-day record also had been held by "Spider-Man 3" with $59.8 million.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
tfay
Airport Utility Worker
Airport Utility Worker

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent film! I'd highly recommend it to anyone who enjoy'ed "Batman Begins".
I plan to see it a 2nd time, hopefully in an IMAX theater this time.
It's a great time to be a Batman fan! Smile
Disney3xJC
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We saw it on Sunday night at 11PM (all shows before that were sold out at Pleasure Island!) It is a great film with action sequences that will know your socks off! But Heath Ledger makes the whole movie. Even if he hadn't died, he will get an Oscar nomination and I won't be surprised to see him win it. It's a shame he's not here to receive all the acolades he deserves. Thumbs way up on 'The Dark Knight'! Smile
onecutemoose
Bouncing Between Wonderland & Neverland

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw this yesterday morning...and I think it is brilliant. I love the story, the twists and turns...the way it plays your emotions...the action is not overdone--it fits.

In the end...I was reminded why I do what I do...and I hope that I will always choose to do what is right-even when it's not easy.

I seriously think this is one of (if not the) best movies I've seen in a couple of years.

: )

btw...we pay over $9 for a movie...if the average is $7, someone has xome cheap movies out there.
RavenStGermaine
Curbside Attendant
Curbside Attendant

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We went last night - what a great movie! Very dark, great story, great acting, great effects. Heath Ledger was fantastic... in that "clowns give me nightmares" sort of way. Creeeeepy!
Ellory
Commander in Chief #1
Commander in Chief #1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to see it on Wednesday, so I'm not listening to any of you people.....

....la la la la la la la Singing la la la la la
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
GrumpyDaddy
UAB's 1st Goofy Challenge Finisher

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this has been out for a while but I just got to see this last night.

I thought it was very good! Smile
Darker and lots of action but was pleased how they kept with the comic book
with the characters.
Heath Ledger was great as the Joker!
tfay
Airport Utility Worker
Airport Utility Worker

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fyi.
According to Box Office Mojo, Dark Knight has just made over $500 Million, putting it at #2 overall in the All Time Grosses list!

Again, awesome movie! Get out and go see.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> Your In-Flight Entertainment All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: