Alt Text 6
Navigation

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting :: View topic - Disney's Evil Empire Strikes Back

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index Forum FAQ Search Usergroups Memberlist Profile Log in to check your private messages

Disney's Evil Empire Strikes Back

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> General Disney Discussion Past, Present and Future
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kmiller15211
Airport Police
Airport Police

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:29 pm    Post subject: Disney's Evil Empire Strikes Back Reply with quote

So, here's one of the dumbest articles that I've ever read about Disney (thanks Google news update for providing this crud to me): http://www.thespartandaily.com/home/index.cfm?event=displayArticle&ustory_id=e4bfdd0c-89f3-49b4-9c1d-063b6d5ced10&page=1

Here's my response, which will hopefully be posted tomorrow:

Quote:
Was there a point to this article whatsoever? Disney has an evil moustache? Are you kidding? This passes for journalism?

Even the most ardent Disney fan (as I am) would agree that the company has gotten bogged down with the almighty dollar over the past decade (Eisner-era), churning out awful sequels. But, what company has put out more quality family entertainment than Disney? For every awful sequel, there's a Wall-E, a Beauty and the Beast, a Lion King.

I don't understand the slam on Disney Earth. As Jay mentioned, if you did any research at all, you would know that Walt Disney was one of the founders of the wildlife film. With his Tru-Life Adventure series, he won Academy Awards and was one of the first to narrate the films as if the animals had personality, which was used with great effect in Planet Earth.

Also, with research you would've read about the work that Disney has done for the environment, known as Environmentality. At Walt Disney World, a state-of-the art trash compaction system eliminates trash with almost no pollution. Disney was one of the first to utilize the sensor faucets and urinals to control water usage. Their pest control system doesn't use pesticides; it uses 'good' bugs to eat the 'bad' bugs. They use hyacinths to eat human waste from the property. Disney is not a Johnny-come-lately to being a friend to the environment, and many companies have come to Disney to learn about these new techniques that are Walt Disney's Epcot legacy.

Yeah, their DVD costs more than the average, but no one's holding a gun to your head to buy, and there's always Netflix or some other route.

Please try to have a point for the next article, or at least hopefully one that's been researched a bit more.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
UltraByte
Parking Lot Attendant
Parking Lot Attendant

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Editorial pieces and articles are pretty much two different things, though... Neutral

I do agree with you for the most part, but modern Disney is just annoying... they push forth bad Disney sequels (Race to Witch Mountain? seriously, that looks like a pile of garbage), and milk their current cashcows instead of find new talent or make original movies. But, there's always one treasure in the pile of junk (like how you mentioned Wall-E... great movie, really outshined the other Disney films out at the time).

I like how you pointed out that Walt used to do Planet Earth-esque stuff, though. They obviously didn't research anything.
kmiller15211
Airport Police
Airport Police

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I absolutely agree that the cheap sequels cheapened their image... I just hated how she made a point of Disney's evil empire and then backed it up with no facts and really had no point to the article. If she wanted to talk about them trying to bilk us for every penny, she could have had many more very valid points.

She probably killed more animals by using that thick red lipstick, which was probably tested on monkeys... But I didn't want to get personal Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
daveypoo
Commander in Chief #1
Commander in Chief #1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I read the first paragraph of the article and couldn't go on. What a bozo!

She actually had the gall to compare Walt Disney to Hitler?!?!?!

People like this give the 1st Amendment a bad name!

WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think one of the issue Disney is struggling with is Size. with a slew of Radio stations, TV stations. Shows, Movies etc that they are expected to turn out, and the weaking of the story crew and imagineering crew, I don't think they hav the bandwidth to be as creative as they use to. Could they be using the re-hashes as they are simply too big to produce fresh content for all of the portals they service?
DylansDisneyDad
Airport Engineer
Airport Engineer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the Disney of old had the luxury of time. They could make a quality product by investing a lot of time, energy, resources and pixie dust! Now, the company has to report quarterly..and it better be good!

That is not to say that they don't put out some good stuff. But, the old addage can apply; when you have so many balls in the air, you are bound to drop some. They can still produce fresh content, but then they beat it to death! HSM, anyone?

When you have to put out product as frequently as Disney does and have the legacy that they do, it can be tough to do it well all the time.
GrumpyDaddy
UAB's 1st Goofy Challenge Finisher

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disney has gotten a little big for its britches and it dose show.

But as for family entertainment, both movies, TV and enjoyment at the parks.
I would have to say they are anything but an Evil Empire.
Other wise I guess you would have to say that I have turned to the Dark side.

Like all major corperation they are more concerned with quarterly stock
reports and how much cash is coming in. Rolling Eyes
But for every weak remake they still produce several great movie, both
animated and live action, that bring great family entertainment to
millions.

So I guess I am going to the Dark Side, because I will be going to WDW
for a family vacation in April and I also will be seeing the new Race to Witch
Mountain in the near future. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> General Disney Discussion Past, Present and Future All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: