Alt Text 6
Navigation

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting :: View topic - Space Mountain Refurb

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index Forum FAQ Search Usergroups Memberlist Profile Log in to check your private messages

Space Mountain Refurb
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> Walt Disney World Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kmiller15211
Airport Police
Airport Police

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:57 pm    Post subject: Space Mountain Refurb Reply with quote

Hey all,
I just read at: http://disneyshawn.blogspot.com/2009/04/space-out.html that they're refurbing Space Mountain in WDW. While this is exciting, I'm sure it will signal the end of my two favorite pieces of music - the entrance music and the star tunnel.

Just viewing this post makes me want to go and experience it one more time before it changes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
daveypoo
Commander in Chief #1
Commander in Chief #1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just remember that you can still experience them right here at UAB (well, the music, at least).

Brownieboy69
Gate Agent
Gate Agent

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe after all this time and when the dust settles they will finally find my lost camera!!!! Very Happy
daveypoo
Commander in Chief #1
Commander in Chief #1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brownieboy69 wrote:
Maybe after all this time and when the dust settles they will finally find my lost camera!!!! Very Happy

I'm sure, after all this time, your camera has been found and taken by the small troll-like inhabitants that live in the Mountain. They are a sassy little bunch of peoples. Wink

RavenStGermaine
Curbside Attendant
Curbside Attendant

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How sad! I LOVE the Disneyland version, so I'm sure the updated ride will be great. But STILL.... I'm going to miss those chocolate chip cookies, and that feeling I always get walking through the queue. That ride always reminds me of being a kid, and how my dad and I would try to decide which side was faster (the one on the left!). Another nostalgic attraction that won't remind me of being a kid anymore. Sad
wdwnut4life
Parking Lot Attendant
Parking Lot Attendant

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree! can't wait to ride the new one! too bad they had to update before my trip there july 16th! Smile
twitter.com/wdwdisneyland
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
me27821
Airport Engineer
Airport Engineer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daveypoo wrote:
Brownieboy69 wrote:

I'm sure, after all this time, your camera has been found and taken by the small troll-like inhabitants that live in the Mountain. They are a sassy little bunch of peoples. Wink

Speaking of inhabitants, I once read on the Jim Hill Media website that the Timekeeper currently inhabits a wooden box in a hallway at the back of Space Mountain. Just imagine all the creepy/cool things you would see if given free reign to explore everything there. Anyone down for digging up a Nautilus sub from 20K?

On a side note, as of right now, Space Mountain is closed, and due to open in November. It's seemingly an update, just like they did in Disneyland. New track, following the same layout, new special effects enhancing the old, but the overall feeling will remain intact. (From Wikipedia: A major component of the renovation is the installation of a new track for the roller coasters, although the current layout will be left unchanged. Other renovations include an upgraded queue area and a new ceiling for the dome's shell. Disney officials did not indicate if this was the full extent of the project or if other changes were in store, but a spokeswoman for the park stated, "We're retaining many of the classic elements that made Space Mountain a rite of passage at the Magic Kingdom that's been enjoyed by generations.")

The real question is what will happen to the Wedway during this time... But it is scheduled to re-open in August, 3 months BEFORE Space Mountain. That'l give a nice preview of the new refurb.
jahosifatz
Business Class Ticket Holder
Business Class Ticket Holder

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back when I worked at Journey into Imagination, we hid Bonnie Apetite's head (Kitchen Kabaret) in the ride where Dreamfinder talks about a Mystery Story.
Brownieboy69
Gate Agent
Gate Agent

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet Dollars to Donuts the WEDway ( TTA) will have its "windows" and viewing areas blocked from view in space mountain until November.. I bet in the tunnels will be construction walls or windows or posters blocking the view of the progress.

Just my thoughts....
daguru
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait may be more fun at Disney's Space Mountain

Walt Disney World is now more than a month into the seven-month rehab of Space Mountain, and details are trickling out about the changes in store for the venerable roller coaster.

The resort last week filed a construction notice thought to be tied to the Magic Kingdom's indoor coaster; it calls for the installation of an "interactive queue" and audio-visual upgrades. The notice has touched off speculation that Space Mountain could be in line for an electronic-game-filled queue similar to the one Disney installed at Epcot's Soarin' in 2007.

Disney officials, who have been relatively tight-lipped about the Space Mountain changes, previously had said only that the 34-year-old attraction would get a new queue enclosure. They also have said the renovations will include new track — though the layout will remain the same — and a new ceiling.

The Reedy Creek Improvement District puts the rehab's value at $12.3 million. The ride is scheduled to reopen Nov. 21.

Source: Orlando Sentinel Blogs; http://www.orlandosentinel.com/travel/attractions/orl-cfbtourism-disney-060809060809jun08,0,5876331.story

This sounds like it is going to similar to the system they have setup over in the queue of Soarin'. Not sure if I like it or not, I liked the old/current queue, hope this doesn't take away from it!
Brownieboy69
Gate Agent
Gate Agent

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't take out the Star Tunnel music!!!!!! Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad
WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

12.3 million to refurb the ride. that is a lot of money to invest in a ride folks were going to continue to ride anyway.

Hope it is noticeable...
daveypoo
Commander in Chief #1
Commander in Chief #1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WDWFan wrote:
12.3 million to refurb the ride. that is a lot of money to invest in a ride folks were going to continue to ride anyway.

Hope it is noticeable...

Considering that the track was 34 years old, I'm sure there are some changes that are needed.

Plus, Disney isn't much on nostalgia, they want things to be fresh and new, even if it's old. I'm sure they see a 12 million investment as a new lure to get people back to WDW.

CTKnight3
Airline Food and Beverage
Airline Food and Beverage

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many topics...sorry..........

Disney is not big on History WHEN IT SUITS THEM...they have shown concern for tradition in some areas, such as keeping some show elements hidden almost like Hidden Mickeys, where you HAVE TO know where to look...

Re: the music and queue: They could still keep the music with a new queue. The current queue has been described as clostrophobic by some because of the angled walls so perhaps making them straighter and the new ineraction will alleviate that.

Re the lsot camera: Um, I think I saw someone buying that exact camera at the "Cast Connection" lost and never found store. It was squarish and covered with dust and choco chip cookie crumbs?

They keep lost stuff for 3(?) months and then sell it dirt (no dustin) cheap to cast members. My brother took my other brother over and he was able to buy a stroller for 5 bucks. He then used it for 2 weeks as transportation for jackets, water bottles, bags, etc. At the end of two weeks he parked it at the front of the park and hopefully someone else will be using it 3 months from then! Cheaper than renting one...
Brownieboy69
Gate Agent
Gate Agent

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Considering that the track was 34 years old, I'm sure there are some changes that are needed.

Plus, Disney isn't much on nostalgia, they want things to be fresh and new, even if it's old. I'm sure they see a 12 million investment as a new lure to get people back to WDW.

Uhh..... Hello??? Carousel of Progress and "gulp" Country Bears craporee!!!!

Confused Confused Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> Walt Disney World Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: