Alt Text 6
Navigation

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting :: View topic - Space Mountain Refurb

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index Forum FAQ Search Usergroups Memberlist Profile Log in to check your private messages

Space Mountain Refurb
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> Walt Disney World Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sarah91182
Ticket Agent
Ticket Agent

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Boooooo! I leave in 2 days and will be there only thru 9/8. I was really hoping it would be up and running already. Siiiiigh...oh well, guess I will have to wait till the next trip. Sad

Hopefully they'll have a soft opening while you're there!
JTToad
Curbside Attendant
Curbside Attendant

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My fingers are crossed on the soft opening front. You give me hope, Sarah!
daguru
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StitchKingdom.com has a HD video of the new colored LED lights: http://www.stitchkingdom.com/2009/08/28/tomorrowland-transit-authority-lighting-test-video/

VERY COOL!
kjturmel
Airline Food and Beverage

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

daveypoo wrote:
TTA is my favorite Tomorrowland attraction! They can make SOME changes, but don't alter the audio! That, to me, is what helps make it so great.

I totally agree witih you, Daveypoo. The TTA is SOOO GREAT, I hope they only make it LONGER! Smile
Brownieboy69
Gate Agent
Gate Agent

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the new lights.... Don't change the audio!!!
sarah91182
Ticket Agent
Ticket Agent

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the new lighting but they need a smooth transition. More ambient than seizurey. Can't wait to head over there and see it myself! Tomorrowland has felt like a ghost town with TTA and SM down for refurb. Been spending all my MK time in Adventureland, Frontierland, and Liberty Square. Not that I’m complaining Very Happy I'm just not going to waste a perfectly good FastPass on Buzz, and I'm not waiting 60 minutes for it!
daguru
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disney reopened the TTA a week or so ago, the only real changes are new multicolored LED lights on the track. But just a few days ago, Disney debuted a new audio spiel for the track. The old audio is completely gone, replaced by what sounds like notices from a resort bus. They have also added character voices when you pass by their attractions, including Buzz, Stitch, and Mickey Mouse... And Space Mountain is still completely covered up...

I recorded a quick trip around the TTA Saturday night, includes the lights and new audio: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2Gb7gYvCy8
JTToad
Curbside Attendant
Curbside Attendant

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

new audio....how sad. Sad
me27821
Airport Engineer
Airport Engineer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's actually not bad at all. It sounds move like Orac-1 than anything else. They even refer to the TTA as the Peoplemover again. The downside is, I just received inside word that when the renovation inside the mountain is done, is's gonna be renamed Stitch Mountain!

Yeah, just kidding about that last part.
mdegrand

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the same old trains

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxNfNyB24-g

We can scratch updated vehicles off the list of hopeful upgrades to the new SM.
daguru
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what people are saying online, there really wasn't any upgrades done... mostly fresh paint, a few segments of the track replaced, etc.... no new trains, music, lights, etc...

I think they did reroute some portions of the queue and spruced up things, but nothing major...

Maybe the WDW management say the huge positive reaction when it was first announced that they figured enough people would ride it without giving the full upgrades... just speculation
GrumpyDaddy
UAB's 1st Goofy Challenge Finisher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Upgrades or not, this is one of my favorite rides.
I'm just looking foward to them being done so I can ride it again. Very Happy
daguru
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is more bad news... they found no cameras below the tracks.... sorry brownie Sad

Very Happy
jahosifatz
Business Class Ticket Holder
Business Class Ticket Holder

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HAHAHAHAHAHA!
daguru
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2010 - Space Mountain Rehab - (10/28/09) The latest whispers from the Ultidoors is that Disney fans may be highly disappointed when Space Mountain reopens next month. As we had been hearing for some time now, the scope of the once massive refurbishment project had been scaled back from a proposed total ride replacement, that would have taken 12-16 months, to a more modest technical refurbishment that could be accomplished in half the time. While budget cuts are always a factor in any project like this, the real killer was the refusal of WDW Management to allow for Space Mountain to be closed for the winter holidays. I’ve been baffled for years as to why they hold onto the short winter holiday season as some kind of golden goose that they are afraid or unwilling to close any major attraction during. Meanwhile they are more than willing to disappoint the millions of guests over the busy 3 month long summer season, rather than close anything during the 2 week winter holiday period. Go Figure...
Anyway… this preference, mixed with the recession and falling attendance figures, was enough to turn what was once proposed as totally rebuilt version of Space Mountain into a project where most guests wont even notice the majority of the improvements at all. As we’ve seen from the construction pictures, the track is still pretty much the same old system that has been there since the ‘70’s. Old track sections have been modified here and there, or replaced where needed to take care of the “problem spots” where maintenance has been welding and repairing the stress cracks for years. But once the total track replacement concept was thrown out the window, the on-board audio system went with it.

I’ve been told that the ride system itself is getting a new state of the art computer control system that is supposed to allow for the Mountain crew to get the ride restarted more quickly than ever from any E-Stops. Previously, the procedure to recover from an E-Stop was to send CMs out onto the track to release each stopped car one at a time, and only releasing the next car on the line once the previous one had reached the unload station. This was a very time consuming process that could take anywhere from 20 to 40 minutes to accomplish, so a new more automated system will increase the recovery time by quite a bit.
The inside of the dome will also have a number of new and improved special effects added, which will take advantage of the new “darker” interior of the Mountain, thanks to the newly enclosed loading stations that have been roofed over. While the lift hill may stay looking pretty much the same as it has for decades, the final “Re-Entry” tunnel effect is supposed to be upgraded, along with the addition of a camera system to take your picture. No word on if they are finally going to enclose or do something to that odd open section of track between the Re-Entry tunnel and the unload station.
Speaking of the stations, I’ve been told that we can expect to see station gates added to the loading stations as well. Unfortunately that is about all of the improvements you can expect to see from the ride experience itself… station gates and hopefully a few new special effects. I’ve been told that the rest of the noticeable improvements will be entirely spent on the ride queue itself. The good news is that all new cutting edge “interactive” elements will be added to the queue experience, taking what they’ve learned from the interactive games added to the Soarin’ queue. I’ve also been told that the plan is to alter the queue enough so that the Standby and FastPass riders don’t have to stare at each other for the entire queue into the mountain as well, which is good news as well, since hopefully this means Disney will start loading the entire queue once again with Stand-By riders instead of leaving them to stand out into the sun for so long before going inside. Otherwise, that’s about everything I’ve heard about so far about this refurbishment, so take it for what you will. Personally, while I’m always up for some good upgrades to an attraction, I’m a bit let down since the top #1 most requested feature everyone has been asking for to be added to the ride was the on-board audio system and we saw just how quickly that aspect was cut while keeping in things like adding a rider photo camera system.

Source: Screamscape; http://www.screamscape.com/html/wdw_-_magic_kingdom.htm

Yup, WDW got screwed again by management.... makes you wonder how much of the "new Fantasyland" will actually be built?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> Walt Disney World Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: