Alt Text 6
Navigation

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting :: View topic - Disney bus driver placed on paid leave...

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index Forum FAQ Search Usergroups Memberlist Profile Log in to check your private messages

Disney bus driver placed on paid leave...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> Walt Disney World Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sarah91182
Ticket Agent
Ticket Agent

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:44 am    Post subject: Disney bus driver placed on paid leave... Reply with quote

Disney bus driver placed on paid leave after YouTube confrontation
Video shows man shoving, choking driver at Disney's Hollywood Studios.

A Walt Disney World Resort bus driver has been placed on paid leave after a physical confrontation between the driver and a guest that was captured on video and uploaded to YouTube.com.

In the video, which the YouTube poster says was shot at Disney's Hollywood Studios, a person shoves and chokes the driver of the bus in what appears to be an unprovoked attack.

According to the video description, the would-be passenger in the video was upset when the driver told him that he and his family would have to wait for another bus to take them to Epcot.

The description says the video starts in the middle of the incident, missing "the most intense part of this fight."

From the video description: "A man and his wife with her baby were waiting for the bus. There wasn't enough room on the bus so the bus driver told them he would call another one. The man was enraged and threw the baby at the bus driver. The woman got her baby and moved back away from them."

That's when the unknown cameraman started recording, the description says, capturing a brief flurry of shoving, and the passenger putting his hands around the bus driver's throat.

In the video, screams can be heard from the crowded area when the confrontation escalates. Several people in the area call for security.

After the two men are separated, the would-be passenger tells a security officer that the bus driver was blocking him and his wife from getting on.

"He see me, I was waiting here … and he tried to block me" the man says in the video. "He let everyone passing through get in first before us."

As the bus driver begins to tell his side of the story, the man interrupts. "We have a baby, you know," he says. "We're supposed to get the priorities."

A Disney spokeswoman said the bus driver had been placed on paid leave while the company reviews the incident.

The company would not provide further comment while the confrontation is being investigated.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/breakingnews/os-disney-youtube-bus-driver-attack-20101014,0,7585871.story
pugmalion1
Airport Police
Airport Police

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those of us who go often enough know that the bus doesn't always stop exactly on the spot where the queue for the bus opens up, and when that happens, it's basically a free-for-all to get on the bus first. I hear that's what happened here.

The guy who choked the bus driver was first in the line to get on the bus, but since it stopped short of the front of the queue, a handful of people got on before he and his family had the chance. By the time he was able to board, the bus was too full. He would have been standing in front of the yellow line. When the bus driver told him he would have to wait for the next one, he wigged out, tossed his baby at the bus driver, and began to beat on him.

I understand having to wait for another bus can be frustrating, especially when people cut in front of you in line, but this dude is a psycho. I also hear that not only is Disney pressing charges on behalf of the bus driver, but they also sent all of the video footage that they have to the state so they can decide if they want to sick Children's Services on them.
WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see where the driver did anything wrong in this... and I am glad to see Disney is pressing charges, as well as turning this person in to children services.

I'm surprised the wife didn't go after the man for throwing the baby.
pugmalion1
Airport Police
Airport Police

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I don't know how reliable the info I have is, but it seems fairly accurate from the stuff I'm reading.

Here's a YouTube video of part of what happened:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmovTsW6gHY

The first comment seems to reflect some of what I've heard and read:
Quote:
Great news what happened later. From a Disney website:

"The couple were removed from the bus and load zone and taken backstage. The gentleman was then arrested and handcuffed for assault on the driver. He is also facing charges for Terrorist threat due to the assault happening on the bus, and public endangerment. They were also ejected from the resort they were staying at,and trespassed from Walt Disney World property.They will not be returning to the Happiest Place on Earth ever again."
sarah91182
Ticket Agent
Ticket Agent

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's one of the MANY reasons I just don't use the bus service. Everyone is entitled to something. Listen pal, just because you have a kid and are visiting WDW doesn't give you the right to act like that. Guess what, almost everyone has a kid in tow.

Now we'll have attendants at the bus stops to make sure people can BOARD A BUS properly... Rolling Eyes
daveypoo
Commander in Chief #1
Commander in Chief #1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="sarah91182"Now we'll have attendants at the bus stops to make sure people can BOARD A BUS properly... Rolling Eyes[/quote]

And a projected hand pointing the way... Wink

pugmalion1
Airport Police
Airport Police

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sarah91182 wrote:
It's one of the MANY reasons I just don't use the bus service. Everyone is entitled to something. Listen pal, just because you have a kid and are visiting WDW doesn't give you the right to act like that. Guess what, almost everyone has a kid in tow.

Now we'll have attendants at the bus stops to make sure people can BOARD A BUS properly... Rolling Eyes

But, if I'm not staying in the Epcot resort area, after drinking around the World, how am I supposed to get back to my hotel without a bus?
Wizzard419
Curbside Attendant
Curbside Attendant

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is one of the main reasons I try to only stay at the resorts that allow you to walk to Epcot, less bus use. Still inexcuseable behavior though, I blame the freefloating stress (will I have a job next month? Will I have a house? etc.) that has much of the country world worried.
sarah91182
Ticket Agent
Ticket Agent

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pugmalion1 wrote:
But, if I'm not staying in the Epcot resort area, after drinking around the World, how am I supposed to get back to my hotel without a bus?

Taxis don't cost that much to get around property.
sarah91182
Ticket Agent
Ticket Agent

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wizzard419 wrote:
That is one of the main reasons I try to only stay at the resorts that allow you to walk to Epcot, less bus use. Still inexcuseable behavior though, I blame the freefloating stress (will I have a job next month? Will I have a house? etc.) that has much of the country world worried.

Like you said, it's still no excuse. And if they are worried they won't have a job next month, they may be better off saving their money instead of spending it on a Disney vacation. I love Disney, but I love common sense more.

Like you, I typically stay at an Epcot walking distance hotel or on the monorail line. Nicer and more convenient.
Wizzard419
Curbside Attendant
Curbside Attendant

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly I see people who seem to lack the common sense to conserve resources. One guy leaves for a vacation the day he was supposed to find out if he was going to be laid off. Oddly enough, he still had a job when he came back.
pugmalion1
Airport Police
Airport Police

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sarah91182 wrote:
pugmalion1 wrote:

Taxis don't cost that much to get around property.

Given the free option vs. paying out of pocket for a ride, I'd choose the free option 99% of the time. I really don't have any issue at all with the bus service. I actually kind of enjoy the experience of rubbing elbows with the world in an equalizer like Disney transportation.

That being said, we're staying at the Boardwalk this time around, so there won't be all that much bus riding for us on this trip. This will be a first for us. Up until now, we've always stayed at moderates. While the boat from French Quarter to Downtown Disney is cool, it's not quite the same as being able to hoof it in and out of the a park's back door.
Wizzard419
Curbside Attendant
Curbside Attendant

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that we've brought up Epcot resorts (which I love) it pushes the flipout that the guy had into a more realistic realm. When I was there last time the only time I used the buses was to get to AK and MK (for magic morning), which normally means crowded buses. Some people were ready to flip out when the bus would stop and be totally packed.

Another adult tempertantrum I saw was at the load area at AK (most of the buses seemed to be really sparse). The guy was chewing out a CM because he had to wait over 10 mins for one to show up.
pugmalion1
Airport Police
Airport Police

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ten minutes? Geez! I've happily waited well over a half-hour for a bus on several occasions. If I'm going to use their free transportation, I can't be upset when others who are doing the same make those buses run full or slow.

Seems like a simple trade-off to me.
daveypoo
Commander in Chief #1
Commander in Chief #1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We personally don't like the bus system, unless you're staying at a deluxe resort. They get crowded fast, take HOURS to get to where you're going, and overall, most people who use them are not the nicest people you'll run into. We have now, and always will, rent a car. I prefer to be in control of my transportation options.

Now, I know not everyone can afford that, and in those cases, the Disney transportation system is their only choice. And for the most part, those people who have no choice are perfectly happy. And moreover, if you stay in the Boardwalk resorts or monorail resorts, there is even less need for transportation like that. And I can even understand SOME people being upset about the frequency of the buses. Let's face it, if you've been at the parks for a number of hours, and you're hot and tired, the last thing you want is to wait for what seems like an eternity for a bus. And it's these reasons I rent a car. Not to mention that many guests seem to think that Disney should be catering to them only since they paid good money for their vacation (I guess they think others got them for free Smile ).

I think it's been said before, most people leave their common sense at home when they head to Disney.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> Walt Disney World Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: