Alt Text 6
Navigation



 
Utilidors Audio Broadcasting :: View topic - Le Cellier Review

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index Forum FAQ Search Usergroups Memberlist Profile Log in to check your private messages

Le Cellier Review
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> Disney Dining
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
sarah91182
Ticket Agent
Ticket Agent


Joined: Apr 10, 2009
Posts: 624
Location: Jacksonville, FL

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:39 pm    Post subject: Le Cellier Review Reply with quote

Hi everyone! I have another post over at Disney Food Blog. This time I'm reviewing Matt's and my lunch over at Le Cellier! Head on over and check it out, and please feel free to leave comments at the blog or on here. Thank you!

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2010/11/30/guest-review-new-menus-and-menu-items-at-le-cellier-steakhouse/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Wizzard419
Curbside Attendant
Curbside Attendant


Joined: Jul 30, 2010
Posts: 442

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poutine is drunk people food. Very Happy I'm actually surprised that you can't find them all over the US, they are all over the place in Qubec.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pugmalion1
Airport Police
Airport Police


Joined: Mar 25, 2010
Posts: 805
Location: Denver, CO

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here in Jersey, most of our diners serve something called Disco Fries, which are somewhat similar to poutine.

They are french fries, typically steak fries, smothered with brown gravy and topped with melted mozzarella cheese. Not my thing, but apparently they are very popular 'round these parts.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kray
Business Class Ticket Holder
Business Class Ticket Holder


Joined: Nov 11, 2005
Posts: 2161

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So glad you had a good experience. We started going there about 8-9 years ago because they had great food options (beyond pasta, chicken fingers and pizza) for the kids and found a wonderful meal for the adults, too! Since then, its popularity has gone through the roof, making it one of the more difficult ADRs to get (according to the Disney Dining staff).

I had dinner at Le Cellier in January and again in August but doubt I will go there again on my next trip.

I think the restaurant has suffered under its popularity. In trying to accomodate as many quests as possbile in a small space has left Cast Members VERY rushed and the food quality / presentation looking and tasting like the kitchen staff is equally rushed. The food is OK, but no longer deserving of the $.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sarah91182
Ticket Agent
Ticket Agent


Joined: Apr 10, 2009
Posts: 624
Location: Jacksonville, FL

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wizzard: There's a pub out in Melbourne called Meg O'Malley's that Matt and I love, and they serve waffle fries with gravy. Delicious! But something about gravy AND the cheese they used just wasn't hitting the spot. I don't believe I ever saw it on a menu in Maine when I lived there, either. Authentically, they should be using cheese curd, correct?

Kray: Yup, I made my October reservations in May! The previous week, I was there for dinner and was able to snag a 6pm reservation for 4 using Disney's mobile reservations on my iPhone - I couldn't believe it! Too bad the dinner was rather "meh." I agree with you about the presentation and such. Lunch was a bit more relaxed and we weren't rushed, and overall experience was MUCH better.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
pugmalion1
Airport Police
Airport Police


Joined: Mar 25, 2010
Posts: 805
Location: Denver, CO

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one and only time we've ever eaten at Le Cellier, it was for lunch. From what I've seen of the dinner menu, I think we made the right choice. For the price, the hassle of the crowd, and the fairly similar menu, I really don't think a dinner reservation to the place is worth it.

If and when they go through with the rumored (or have they been confirmed?) changes to make it a signature restaurant for dinner, it might be different. Until then, I think we'll stick to lunch when we decide to dine there.


Last edited by pugmalion1 on Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Wizzard419
Curbside Attendant
Curbside Attendant


Joined: Jul 30, 2010
Posts: 442

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sarah91182 wrote:
Wizzard: There's a pub out in Melbourne called Meg O'Malley's that Matt and I love, and they serve waffle fries with gravy. Delicious! But something about gravy AND the cheese they used just wasn't hitting the spot. I don't believe I ever saw it on a menu in Maine when I lived there, either. Authentically, they should be using cheese curd, correct?

Yep, cheese curd is the standard requirement under canadian law Smile I was up there for a conference and my friends wanted to go out and get them and yeah... there is no way to plate them that looks appealing.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sarah91182
Ticket Agent
Ticket Agent


Joined: Apr 10, 2009
Posts: 624
Location: Jacksonville, FL

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pugmalion1 wrote:
The one and only time we've ever eaten at Le Cellier, it was for lunch. From what I've seen of the dinner menu, I think we made the right choice. For the price, the hassle of the crowd, and the fairly similar menu, I really don't think a dinner reservation to the place is worth it.

If and when they go through with the rumored (or have they been confirmed?) changes to make it a signature restaurant for dinner, I think we'll stick to lunch when we decide to dine there.


I completely agree about the lunch. When I went for dinner, I ordered to appetizers for my dinner: the Roasted Duck Meatballs and the Spicy Chicken and Chipotle Sausage (which I had enjoyed at the Canada booth at F&W). And as I mentioned in the post, for the price for dinner, I would much rather have Yachtsman Steakhouse or California Grill. Or Artist’s Point for that matter Smile

According to the Disney website: Effective March 1, 2011, dinner at Le Cellier Steakhouse will be elevated to a Signature dining experience, offering an exciting new menu that will change seasonally and an expanded wine list.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
sarah91182
Ticket Agent
Ticket Agent


Joined: Apr 10, 2009
Posts: 624
Location: Jacksonville, FL

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wizzard419 wrote:
Yep, cheese curd is the standard requirement under canadian law Smile I was up there for a conference and my friends wanted to go out and get them and yeah... there is no way to plate them that looks appealing.


Just because a food doesn't always look appealing doesn't mean it isn't delicious. I dumped leftover turkey, stuffing (if Matt is reading: dressingRolling Eyes), mashed potatoes, and gravy in a bowl the other night and it tasted amazing...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
pugmalion1
Airport Police
Airport Police


Joined: Mar 25, 2010
Posts: 805
Location: Denver, CO

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sarah91182 wrote:
According to the Disney website: Effective March 1, 2011, dinner at Le Cellier Steakhouse will be elevated to a Signature dining experience, offering an exciting new menu that will change seasonally and an expanded wine list.


Yeah, I thought so. I just couldn't remember if it had been officially announced. I know a bunch of people over on the DisBoards were up in arms when the rumor first started floating around. I imagine they're devastated now.

Personally, I think it's a great decision. World Showcase really needs a more casual signature option. I loved Bistro, but I can see people viewing it as a bit stuffy. A nice, themed steakhouse with a seasonally rotating menu sounds like just the thing to spice up the restaurant experience around the lagoon.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sarah91182
Ticket Agent
Ticket Agent


Joined: Apr 10, 2009
Posts: 624
Location: Jacksonville, FL

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pugmalion1 wrote:
sarah91182 wrote:
According to the Disney website: Effective March 1, 2011, dinner at Le Cellier Steakhouse will be elevated to a Signature dining experience, offering an exciting new menu that will change seasonally and an expanded wine list.


Yeah, I thought so. I just couldn't remember if it had been officially announced. I know a bunch of people over on the DisBoards were up in arms when the rumor first started floating around. I imagine they're devastated now.

Personally, I think it's a great decision. World Showcase really needs a more casual signature option. I loved Bistro, but I can see people viewing it as a bit stuffy. A nice, themed steakhouse with a seasonally rotating menu sounds like just the thing to spice up the restaurant experience around the lagoon.


I know Le Cellier won't be as formal as Bistro de Paris, which is fine since you ARE in a park, but I'm glad it will be 2 credits at dinner. I hope it makes people using DDP think twice before booking (I've never used DDP). I really hope they live up to the "exciting new menu" they are touting. I love seeing seasonal menu changes at California Grill and such!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
pugmalion1
Airport Police
Airport Police


Joined: Mar 25, 2010
Posts: 805
Location: Denver, CO

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what you and many others have said, Le Cellier certainly has gotten stale. Most people blame the dining plan for allowing the opportunity for them to shoehorn so many people into the place. I think I tend to agree.

I hope, just like you, that asking for signature credits and shaking up that old menu coerces the masses to try some new things. I don't use the dining plan, either, so I'd like to get a good meal for my money, not just an experience good enough to satisfy the dining plan.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Wizzard419
Curbside Attendant
Curbside Attendant


Joined: Jul 30, 2010
Posts: 442

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One curiosity I had with the place was that there were other great steakhouses within walking distance as well as other great dining establishments but that one location is always packed. I don't know if it is just a "Normal food" kind of thing, or is it a location thing (like the sausage stand at TDS that had a huge wait)?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kray
Business Class Ticket Holder
Business Class Ticket Holder


Joined: Nov 11, 2005
Posts: 2161

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, in additin to great food and a wonderful wine list, what separated Le Cellier from other steakhouses available was the Cast Members. They really interacted with the guests. They would introduce themselves and tell you what Province they were from - they would tell you all sorts of neat stuff about their home Province as well as Canada in general. It was a fun place to dine and one of the few restaurants that I have memories of specific Cast Members - It really was a memorable dining experience, not just dinner.

It is too bad the Cast Members don't have the time to interact and give their "personal touch" to guests anymore.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sarah91182
Ticket Agent
Ticket Agent


Joined: Apr 10, 2009
Posts: 624
Location: Jacksonville, FL

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wizzard419 wrote:
One curiosity I had with the place was that there were other great steakhouses within walking distance as well as other great dining establishments but that one location is always packed. I don't know if it is just a "Normal food" kind of thing, or is it a location thing (like the sausage stand at TDS that had a huge wait)?


It could be a combination of the two. For table service walking around WS, some menus may intimidate guests, and options in FW are lacking. This is especially true when travelling with a group. You have people that will eat anything, and people who will only eat steak & potatoes, won't touch seafood, etc. Also, Le Cellier's cult-like reputation also precedes it.

Another thought: People who are in the parks don't want leave it to walk to another steakhouse/restaurant. Or perhaps their attire (especially in summer) wouldn't really permit them to go without a shower/clothing change.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> Disney Dining All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
 
Utilidors Audio Broadcasting / Utilidors.com / uabmagic.com are in no way affiliated with, endorsed or promoted by the Walt Disney Company or any of its subsidiaries.

All Music and requestable media Copyright the Walt Disney Company or their respective artists / Composers.


Page Generation: 0.06 Seconds
 
Copyright © Smeego.com Home Now Playing Site Forum Chat My Account Logout
Powered by the AutoTheme HTML Theme System
Page created in 0.055566 Seconds