Alt Text 6
Navigation

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting :: View topic - Song of the South on DVD

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index Forum FAQ Search Usergroups Memberlist Profile Log in to check your private messages

Song of the South on DVD

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> Your In-Flight Entertainment
View previous topic :: View next topic  
redbaron314
Air Cargo Agent
Air Cargo Agent

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:06 pm    Post subject: Song of the South on DVD Reply with quote

Is the rumour true or not about the slight possiblity of Song of the south coming out this fall?? For the 60th aniversary of the release of the movie?

I hope so, this timeless classic would be a great addition to the dvd collection of movies that Disney has out now.

And I dare say that it would be one of the hottest movies put out yet even hotter than Star Wars. Sorry George, it's one of the classics. Smile Cool
theEpiphany
Gate Agent
Gate Agent

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been a rumor for years and years now. No signs of an official release however. If it were true the Disney marketing machine would have been in full swing by now. We'll see.

Personally...I don't see it happening. The positives of NOT releasing it far outweight the negatives. In a society of super sensitivity with race relations, whether the movie had racial undertones or not doesn't matter.

If the DVD were to be released, you can bet that people like Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton, who are opportunists to the 10th power in my opinion would be all over in deep deep opposition trying to snuff it and have it pulled from shelves.

Press like that these days isn't worth having. Even if it will make 1000s of fans appreciative. The scale of logic is tipped in the opposition's favor.

If they do...I'll be pleasantly surprised.
Air Cargo Agent
Air Cargo Agent

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:31 am    Post subject: RE: SOTS Reply with quote

I grew up on the stories as a child. I had the big story books that had the SOTS stories in it. Disney would be making an awful choice if not to issue out a movie like SOTS. They had some good ol'fashioned stories in them. Not like Disneys current fare that seem to only show a character in a broken family rising up, not to say those stories don't have their place. But common enough is enough already how about a wholesome family values kind of a story.

The biggest problem with being pc is being afraid to admit the past, Or even having a dialogue about it. I'm not insensitive to the past however if we forget it then we'll repeat it. WWI and WWII are good examples of this. We've become so pc that we're afraid of our own shadows its crazy.

What does that have to do with SOTS well not alot unless you use to argue for the re-release of SOTS. Are we so sensitive we can't admit to ourselves what happened in the past, or do we embrace it, learn from it, and finally get over it and move on?

The stories of Uncle Remus are grand and ole fashanioned with morales. Maybe thats the problem. Anyway I'm getting off my soap box.

May all your days be Disney days.
Very Happy Smile Very Happy
DisneyDave
Business Class Ticket Holder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be VERY dissapointed of Disney if they bow to the PC pressure!

PC is based on perception, and individual perception at that! What is offensive to some is NOT offensive to others! And what gives Some the right to determine what others should see or hear???

The movie is what it is. It is a reflection of society at that time. It is a historical piece. We still show Roots! We still show movies on the Hollocaust! They are offensive to some,,BUT they are historical!

This movie should be released because it is entertaining and fun to watch. The race thing is only apparent to those who want it to be. Otherwise it's just a great childrens film, and the genesis for one of the most popular rides at the parks!

*he now steps down from his soapbox, and gives the fish to the PC crowd! Fish
daveypoo
Commander in Chief #1
Commander in Chief #1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DisneyDave wrote:
I would be VERY disappointed of Disney if they bow to the PC pressure!

But they have bowed to PC pressure. Look at PotC, look at the fact that they haven't released SotS in ages, look at how things have really changed in the parks and movies. They bow to the PC Pressure all the time, and I think it's stupid!

Look at that Christian group that boycotted Disney for all those years; did it make a difference? NO! I don't think anyone even remembered that there was a boycott. Disney ignored them and all was well.

Let's face it, our country has become the place of ubber sensitivity and no one can enjoy ANYTHING without someone being offended by it.

DisneyDave

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

daveypoo wrote:
DisneyDave wrote:

But they have bowed to PC pressure. Look at PotC, look at the fact that they haven't released SotS in ages, look at how things have really changed in the parks and movies. They bow to the PC Pressure all the time, and I think it's stupid!

Look at that Christian group that boycotted Disney for all those years; did it make a difference? NO! I don't think anyone even remembered that there was a boycott. Disney ignored them and all was well.

Let's face it, our country has become the place of ubber sensitivity and no one can enjoy ANYTHING without someone being offended by it.

I am offended by that! Wink
daveypoo
Commander in Chief #1
Commander in Chief #1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DisneyDave wrote:
daveypoo wrote:
DisneyDave wrote:

I am offended by that! Wink

Thuppptttt! Razz Razz Razz

Figmentathm
UAB's 1st Boston Marathon Finisher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess we'll have to do what we don't like to do and buy unlicensed, bootleg copies. So what if they are in Spanish. It's about time I learned a second language anyway.

Ebay...here I come.
Tach
Airport Utility Worker
Airport Utility Worker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Figmentathm wrote:
I guess we'll have to do what we don't like to do and buy unlicensed, bootleg copies. So what if they are in Spanish. It's about time I learned a second language anyway.

Ebay...here I come.

There goes another $25-45 from Disney's potential sales...

There are ways of releasing SotS while working with those who would potentially oppose it. It would just take careful marketing.

But that's probably too troublesome. Best just pretend it never existed.

"Splash whatnow?"
Gate Agent
Gate Agent

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing of it is...The controversy is mostly self-manifested.

It was made a big deal by people through hearsay. When the film was first released there wasn't all that much controversy when compared to today.

Even James Baskett said that he wondered if all of this talk and opposition was doing more harm than good for the advancement of African Americans.

Again.

Most of the people who are opposed...don't know why they're opposed. they just heard that this was the practice and ran with it without knowing the facts.

-D
Air Cargo Agent
Air Cargo Agent

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

theEpiphany wrote:
The thing of it is...The controversy is mostly self-manifested.

It was made a big deal by people through hearsay. When the film was first released there wasn't all that much controversy when compared to today.

Even James Baskett said that he wondered if all of this talk and opposition was doing more harm than good for the advancement of African Americans.

Again.

Most of the people who are opposed...don't know why they're opposed. they just heard that this was the practice and ran with it without knowing the facts.

-D

You said a mouthful. It's amazing how for every two steps we go forward we go three steps back, it's sad. Being of ethnic decent myself, We will never progress till we can totally forget race as a way to identify someone. Think about this a minute how racist is it when someone fills a application out it asks for what race are you and they use the disclaimer that it's for record keeping methods only.<right> I don't believe that for one minute.

But I'm going to put my hands and feet inside the moving vehicle at all times and refrain from eating drinking smoking, or but I will a flash for picture Razz Laughing Cool Very Happy Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> Your In-Flight Entertainment All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: