Expedition Everest Teleport
Navigation

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting :: View topic - Value Resorts: Good Deal or Hot Mess

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index Forum FAQ Search Usergroups Memberlist Profile Log in to check your private messages

Value Resorts: Good Deal or Hot Mess

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> Walt Disney World Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bison74
Air Cargo Agent
Air Cargo Agent

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 10:35 pm    Post subject: Value Resorts: Good Deal or Hot Mess Reply with quote

In the last few years, my family and I have tried to visit WDW at least once a year. Primarily we've stayed at the value resorts - our feeling is we're really there for the parks, and we just need a pillow to lie our heads (my daughter likes the pools at Pop Century too).

We once splurged and stayed at the Animal Kingdom Lodge, which was incredible and something we'd like to do again, but we always struggle: We'd prefer to save the money and put it toward other things to do (and buy) at the parks.

I was curious as to how most visitors deal with this. I know that the value resorts leave something to be desired - the rooms are a bit smaller, and the 'chaos factor' of the other guests makes it difficult to relax (at least for me).

Thoughts?
daveypoo
Commander in Chief #1
Commander in Chief #1

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We belong to DVC, so for the past 10 years, this hasn't been an issue for us. BUT...

We used to stay wherever we could when we had to pay for a room. Staying on property was ALWAYS the requirement (we stayed off property once and hated it.). If you're looking for a place to store your stuff and sleep, then a value resort is the best way to go. If having a little more room is desireable, you could bump up to a moderate, which we've stayed at a number of times. One of the better values we've gotten was a cabin at Fort Wilderness. Cheaper than a DVC-type room, but lots of space, a full kitchen and a beautiful setting.

You can also "rent" points from DVC members if you'd like to stay at a Vacation Home. Less expensive than a Deluxe Resort, but more than a Value.

bison74
Air Cargo Agent
Air Cargo Agent

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. We've never thought about Fort Wilderness (but I love the ambient music).

We stayed off property once as well, but it was only for two days (we decided to splurge and go down early). It wasn't horrible per say, but it DEFINITELY wasn't the same. I probably would have disliked it more if we'd spent the entire week. Having to truck into the property was definitely a pain.

Have you stayed at any other moderates? We've talked about staying at the Riverfront before. Friends of our stayed there and raved about it.
daveypoo
Commander in Chief #1
Commander in Chief #1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only resorts we've NEVER stayed at are Grand Floridian, Yacht and Beach Club, and Coronado Springs (and some of the newer Value Resorts). We love French Quarter and Riverside is where we stayed on our first visit to WDW (It was Dixie Landing back then).

I believe Riverside still has the trundle beds, so the room will sleep 5 rather than 4. Both Riverside and French Quarter are awesome.

bison74
Air Cargo Agent
Air Cargo Agent

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We were going to stay at Riverside, like, over ten years ago. We had booked it and everything. Then we get a call one day saying that they were going to close the resort for refurbishment, and they'd put us up anywhere at the same price.

Animal Kingdom Lodge, baby. It was awesome. I have a photo of my wife eating breakfast on our balcony while a herd of giraffe stroll by in the background.
WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rarely can make it to WDW, and the reason is purely cost. Typically I will stay t the value resorts. I've stayed at a few of the moderates, and will agree they are a bit nicer, the theming more tranquil and all encompassing, but I like the Values.

First, I like that I am taking that other money and able to use it for the other things I would have to skip, so I can fit in a character meal with the wife, or have that sit down epcot dinner with the family instead of another quick serve.

Second, yeah, some of the decorations can be over the top and tacky, but it turns out my kids (now 20's) LOVE that. We will go out exploring and taking pictures by the bog laptop or the big wheel. And getting time to spend with your kids at that age? PRICELESS.

Would I tell you to avoid the luxury or moderates - Never. But don't cross off the values just because of the name. They are great resorts. The service is still Disney quality. You get a nice bonus, yeah, go ahead and splurge, but if you are counting pennies, a value resort is a great way to move those pennies to another category.
CTKnight3
Airline Food and Beverage
Airline Food and Beverage

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been lucky to go there and stay at both the value resorts and two of the moderate resorts. Well, gee, yeah there is a difference, but I enjoyed them both. Of course I was with my nieces so that makes everything more enjoyable. Each resort brings a different flavor. The value resorts are more crowded which can get tiring, but not always and I enjoy the food courts. Particularly after 9:00 they are a good place to read when everyone else in your room wants to sleep.

So, it really depends on your tastes, mood and budget. Sure, splurge once in a while, but for a quick trip with family, they make a nice option.

Now if anyone has paid reservations for Aulani and needs me to go in their place, I have no problems reviewing that resort afterwards...Yes it is not a WDW resort but gee, Hawaii! I could get used to that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> Walt Disney World Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: