Alt Text 6
Navigation

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting :: View topic - The Greatest Attraction That Never Was

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index Forum FAQ Search Usergroups Memberlist Profile Log in to check your private messages

The Greatest Attraction That Never Was

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> Walt Disney World Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
me27821
Airport Engineer
Airport Engineer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:53 pm    Post subject: The Greatest Attraction That Never Was Reply with quote

Many Disney fans have heard of it, and some of us are legitamatly bothered on how things turned out. Over 30 years later, and still no Western River Expedition. Frontierland in WDW is huge, and it already has 2 E-ticket attractions. Both of which serve the purpose that WRE and Thunder Mesa would have. It's no secret that almost all the Imagineers look up to this concept, and even today, still pitch the idea to the suits. If it were ever going to be built, how would everyone here like to see it? Obviously some changes would have to be made (who would actually go on the mule pack ride, or hike to the top in the Florida heat?), and the entire attraction house would have to find a new spot. What changes should be made though? Considering the boat ride, and mine train ride would both be almost repeats of current attractions, what kind of attraction should it be, if it is built today?
WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you provide more details on this Western River Expedition? I am not familiar with it.
Ellory
Commander in Chief #1
Commander in Chief #1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check this out for info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_River_Expedition
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ellory...
theEpiphany
Gate Agent
Gate Agent

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Story had it that One of Marc Davis' models for WRE was actually walled up...the wall was removed 14 years later....All of the lights and lanterns were still partially glowing from 14 years previous....
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The part I find most appealing is not the attractions themselves as much as the concept of the attractions interacting together. So the theming on one ride or the ride itself compliments and becomes theming for the other rides it is part of.
daveypoo
Commander in Chief #1
Commander in Chief #1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People have, for years, complained about Disney doing things on "the cheap". I guess it's been that way since the 60's, so it's not something new under current or immediate-past management.

As for some of these plans, there is no reason they couldn't find a new spot for some of these ideas (hotels, attractions, etc.). River Country might be a nice place for a hotel if they decide to not reopen the water park.

theEpiphany
Gate Agent
Gate Agent

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IT's not just being on the cheap in some cases...it's also the bastardization of modern day society where everybody wants something for nothing....also known as the sue happy society.

Unfortunately River Country had a lot of those sorts of things with it...as much fun as it seemed to be....Disney Lawyers are taking the fun out of everything and with all of the lawsuits coming about these days...who can really blame them for protecting their "assets"?

While osme things seem to go a bit overboard (like Donald's boat...becoming "Operation: No Fun", theres a need for Disney to change with the times due to the leisure factor that people as a whole want everything handed to them on a silver platter....Also with that...the Higher the ticket cost...the more Joe Tourist is going to start thinking that he/she is entitled to further benefits.
Skycap
Skycap

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something I noticed is Disney is scared to create an original idea, instead they have to base everything on the movies. WRE could have been an amazing ride and stupid Disney executives will always veto it. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
blinkereye123
Airplane Inspector
Airplane Inspector

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi folks. I hate to say it but if you've ever seen or been to EuroDisney then unfortunately you know what happened to WRE. Not that I don't think that a new disney park doesn't deserve the latest in attractions or theming but this almost made me cry when I finally realised the implications of it. To summarize: Not only is the the in Euro Frontierland called Thuder Mesa but most if not all of it's theming is based directly on the WDW concept! What makes it all the more heartbraking is that Phantom Manor,("the best Haunted Mansion in the world"), utilizes the "remains" of the WRE stroyline. In a sense the designers have almost literally "killed" one concept to use for another and nearly wiped away any memory of what could have been. Well, now that I've gotten that off my chest, let's just hope-and pray- the company starts trying to chances again. Until next itme, peace.
WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shae getting to the foreign parks is so expensive....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> Walt Disney World Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: