Alt Text 6
Navigation

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting :: View topic - `High School Musical 2' Airs Friday

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index Forum FAQ Search Usergroups Memberlist Profile Log in to check your private messages

`High School Musical 2' Airs Friday

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> Your In-Flight Entertainment
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daveypoo
Commander in Chief #1
Commander in Chief #1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:50 am    Post subject: `High School Musical 2' Airs Friday Reply with quote

By DAVID BAUDER, AP Television Writer

2 hours ago

NEW YORK - Anyone who considers mid-August a dead time for anything original on television definitely doesn't have an elementary-school-aged girl at home.

This week's Disney Channel premiere of "High School Musical 2" is a Friday-night date for millions of youngsters, and the latest example of how cable has stolen the buzz from its broadcast big brothers this summer.

There's been a run of attention-getting series with big stars on cable, like Holly Hunter in TNT's "Saving Grace," Glenn Close in "Damages" on FX and Debra Messing in "The Starter Wife" on USA.

TNT's "The Closer" routinely beats most of what the broadcasters offer on Monday nights. "Army Wives" became Lifetime's most popular series ever and "Ice Road Truckers" did the same for The History Channel. "Mad Men" on AMC, "Burn Notice" on USA and "House of Payne" on TNT were other intriguing new offerings.

Add in returning favorites like "Monk," and there are nearly 30 scripted cable series offering original episodes from June to September, according to Multichannel News.

"It's a summer to remember," said Tim Brooks, a television historian and Lifetime executive. "It's kind of a game-changer in a way."

On broadcast? Well, there's always "Big Brother 8." Or is it 14?

The original "High School Musical" premiered to 7.8 million viewers in January 2006. August felt right for the sequel because it is set in the summertime, said Scott Garner, Disney Channel's senior vice president for programming. By the 17th, summer camp is generally over and school hasn't started yet.

The new movie features the original cast working and having fun at a country club, with the relationships of its main characters sorely tested. Plenty of new songs are lined up for the youthful audience to sing along to.

"If I was a betting man, I would say it would probably be a (ratings) milestone in cable television this year," Garner said.

Cable networks see an opportunity to snap up bored viewers while ABC, CBS, NBC and Fox essentially shift to autopilot in the summer. This year the trend has gone into overdrive, and it's having an impact. Through midsummer, young viewership was down 14 percent from last year on broadcast schedules clogged with repeats, talent and reality programs. Cable was up slightly, Nielsen Media Research said.

The assumption that so many TV sets are turned off during the summer is becoming obsolete, said Jack Wakshlag, chief researcher at Turner Networks. In 1975, with fewer networks to choose from and fewer homes with air conditioners, summer viewership was 15 percent lower than the rest of the year, he said.

In 2005, that difference was only 3 percent _ and it's moving toward a day when there will be just as much TV-watching in July as January, he said.

Another factor in the summertime bounty of choice is the recognition by cable networks that their success increasingly depends upon having signature series that viewers will seek out. That's why AMC, normally a movie channel, developed "Mad Men."

The competition is keen. In 2000, the average home in the United States had access to 61 channels, Nielsen said. By last year, the typical home got 104 channels.

Until the "who shot J.R.?" phenomenon 27 years ago, broadcast networks more often than not drew little attention to the end of the season in May. Brooks said the strategy of seeking a ratings boost through season-ending special events and series cliffhangers may be counterproductive.

"It may bring you back in the fall to see what happens but it also tells you very explicitly that there's nothing going to happen until the fall," he said. "Viewers are taking that as a signal to go elsewhere."

Broadcasters are hardly blind to what's going on.

They pay so much for scripted programming that economic reality locks them in to repeating episodes to get extra ad revenue. Ratings that may make a series a profitable hit on cable represent failure on the bigger stage of a broadcast network. Unless someone figures out something different, networks are locked in to concentrating on cheap reality programming in the summer, hoping to catch lightning with an unexpected hit.

"We all tried a little bit," said Alan Wurtzel, NBC's chief researcher. "But there is no way you can have a full-fledged, 52-week season, both financially and creatively."

The result is ABC, CBS, NBC and Fox sitting back for another few months as the cable competitors continue to chip away at what has always made them special. That's another few months of viewers not checking those networks first when they settle into their couches.

Eric Deggans, television critic for the St. Petersburg Times, watched pilots for each of the new broadcast series starting this fall. He didn't like any of them. Not one.

"When we get to September and October and all the new shows are tried and people are saying, `I'd still rather watch `Dexter" (on Showtime) than this other stuff, then network TV could have some problems," he said.

The broadcast networks suffered through an unexpectedly slow spring. Can they afford this bummer of a summer?

___

On the Net:

http://www.disney.go.com

___

EDITOR'S NOTE _ David Bauder can be reached at dbauder"at"ap.org

WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My daughters have been on me for weeks to let them have friends over to watch this show. This is turning in to the major T'weens even of the summer.

I guess if you have nothing original to produce, a sequel will alway fit the bill.
GrumpyDaddy
UAB's 1st Goofy Challenge Finisher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife and daughter have been planing for this movie for weeks.

My daughter is even having a freind or two coming for a sleep over to watch
the movie together. Rolling Eyes

Me, I think I'm going to work a double shift just so I don't have to been home
with all of those silly girls.
daveypoo
Commander in Chief #1
Commander in Chief #1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrumpyDaddy wrote:
Me, I think I'm going to work a double shift just so I don't have to been home with all of those silly girls.

John, you might just want to consider working the entire weekend...I'll bet they are going to show that movie a few times and I woudn't doubt that they watch it each time it's on.

Get away and get away FAST!

GrumpyDaddy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveyPoo wrote:
John, you might just want to consider working the entire weekend...I'll bet they are going to show that movie a few times and I woudn't doubt that they watch it each time it's on.

Get away and get away FAST!

There going to show it more more than once. Pull Hair Faint Pull Hair
fireurgunz
Skycap
Skycap

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I REALLY don't like High School Musical!!! Puke
kmiller15211
Airport Police
Airport Police

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I REALLY don't like High School Musical!!!

I totally agree. Is there anyone else besides me that is EXTREMELY surprised that this movie is such a bit hit? There's really no difference between this and the umpteen crappy made-for-tv movies on the Disney channel. To boot, I thought Zac Efron was too good for a sequel and said that there was no way he'd do it... Once again, money talks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
GrumpyDaddy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well between the High School Musical 2 sound track and T-shirts and sweatshirt
and backpack and other asst. stuff my wife and daughter have I REALLY hope
there will not be a HSM-3 Rolling Eyes Pull Hair Puke
kmiller15211
Airport Police
Airport Police

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, by then it will be College Musical...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
GrumpyDaddy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmiller15211 wrote:
No, by then it will be College Musical...

Don't Tell No No Not so loud you might give them the idea for #3.
WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the kids each invited thier friends over for a major sleep over just to watch this movie. They are talking about how they will watch it first at x: o:clock, and then when they reshow it y: o:clock.

Think I'm gonna do like John and just work the weekend. Or hide in my room and listen to UAB all weekend.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> Your In-Flight Entertainment All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: