Alt Text 6
Navigation

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting :: View topic - Runners out there

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index Forum FAQ Search Usergroups Memberlist Profile Log in to check your private messages

Runners out there

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> Concourse Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JTToad
Curbside Attendant
Curbside Attendant

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:35 am    Post subject: Runners out there Reply with quote

So I know there are some runners who happen to visit this kooky place. I have a few questions for you..

First - I ran in my first 5K this weekend. I have to admit, I did waaaay better then I thought that I would have. I was very happy with my time and everything. My question is though, its now Monday morning, and I am still hurting! (insert exhausted emoticon here) Now, I know I need to stretch more, but I didn't know if there were any other "tricks of the trade" to helping my body come down some after a race.

Second - I'm pretty sure I've read on here before that some of you have ran at the WDW or DL marathons. If so, how long were they? 5K? 10K? Here to Neverland and back? Also, do you know when they usually are and how easy/hard are they to get in to?

As you might be able to tell from the second question, I really enjoyed the local run I did and I am hoping to do a few more. And if I can work out doing one at the Happiest Place on Earth, well, that would make it all the sweeter!

Thanks!
Figmentathm
UAB's 1st Boston Marathon Finisher

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah! Another runner. Congrats on the first race. To answer your first question. you are experiencing DOMS, delayed onset muscle soreness. You have a build up of lactic acid in your muscles from the running. This is a normal event. I you don't run, you will be sore for a few days. If you do run, you will be sore for a few days. Drink lots of fluid to move the gunk out of your muscles. Drnik some sports drink for recovery. Go for an easy run or a walk. The excercise will actually push the gunk out of your system. Stretching will help with this as well.

For the other question. Disney has a complete race series both at DL and WDW. Log on to www.Disneyworldmarathon.com. An excellant site is www.Disneyrunning.com. There is also a forum you can log into thata contains discussions about all things Disney running and beyond. It is a great site for newbies and experienced runners alike.

And for your other question a marathon is 26.2 miles, other races are as they are named, 5K, 10K, half maraton. But check out these sites, and feel free to ask or PM me. Marathon weekend is Jan 10 - 13 2008, and many of the races are filled up. But log in and look around.
kray
Business Class Ticket Holder
Business Class Ticket Holder

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on the race! Very Happy

Please check out the many race options on the websites that figment listed - WDW and DL races are so much fun!
JTToad
Curbside Attendant
Curbside Attendant

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips!

I drank so much water and vitamin water when I finished the race Sat. morning. It wasn't until later yesterday that my muscles really started tightening up and getting real sore.

I was thinking of hitting the gym later today to walk/run some to keep things loose. I will keep drinking more, though.

And thanks for the WDW Run info. I don't know if I will be able to make it to this Januarys, but Im guessing they will be doing this again.
GrumpyDaddy
UAB's 1st Goofy Challenge Finisher

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulation on your race. Smile

Like Figment said you should get out there and do something even it is just a
nice walk or ride a bike to work the lactic acid out.

Keep working and running and the next time the muscel soreness will not
be as bad.

Look foward to seeing you at the WDW half Marathon in "09" Very Happy
Figmentathm

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrumpyDaddy wrote:

Grumpy and I are thinking about the Goofy Challenge for 2009. 1/2 and a full marathon in 2 days. 39.3 miles. That's why they call it Goofy. But I have to get back into things and get through the marathon in 2008 before I look any further.

Tough to get old.
GrumpyDaddy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Figmentathm wrote:
GrumpyDaddy wrote:

Grumpy and I are thinking about the Goofy Challenge for 2009. 1/2 and a full marathon in 2 days. 39.3 miles. That's why they call it Goofy. But I have to get back into things and get through the marathon in 2008 before I look any further.

Tough to get old.

Thanks for putting the " Old quote" in there. Wink
Saves me the trouble of saying it. Laughing
JTToad
Curbside Attendant
Curbside Attendant

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow.....1/2 and full in two days. That is Goofy. I'd be pleased with just doing another 5K.

I did go to the gym yesterday and just walked on the treadmill for a mile and half or so and my muscles feel a whole lot better today. Just in time for my soccer game tonight!

With the Disney marathons, where are the courses? I think I remember reading something about the course out in DL is through the parks. Is that true for the WDW one? Or since there is so much more space is it running from, say MGM (which is what it will always be called) to Epcot and up to the Magic Kingdom or is it through part of the park(s)?
Figmentathm

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the races run through the parks. Check www.disneyworldmarathon.com for a complete account of January's events, including maps. This will answer many of your questions.
JTToad
Curbside Attendant
Curbside Attendant

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would make sense. I knew I should have checked out those sights before I asked.... Embarassed

Thanks again for all the info!

So how long have you been running?
daveypoo
Commander in Chief #1
Commander in Chief #1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want to say Figmentathm is old, but Jesus beat him in a race by running across the water!

(Sorry Frank, I couldn't resist!)

Figmentathm

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JTToad wrote:
That would make sense. I knew I should have checked out those sights before I asked.... Embarassed

Thanks again for all the info!

So how long have you been running?

There is a ton of good info on thoise sites. And I'll be happy to answer any question.

I've been running since 1967, despite what DP says. Been on and off while I was raising kids, or they were raising me. Running seriously for about 9. 3 milers to marathons. Cheaper than smoking a pack a day and going to a shrink, which many people I know think would still help.
GrumpyDaddy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

daveypoo wrote:
I don't want to say Figmentathm is old, but Jesus beat him in a race by running across the water!

(Sorry Frank, I couldn't resist!)

Laughing Rolling on Floor Laughing Rolling On Floor Laughing Donald Lol Up
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> Concourse Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: