Alt Text 6
Navigation

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting :: View topic - Something to make you say HUH?

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index Forum FAQ Search Usergroups Memberlist Profile Log in to check your private messages

Something to make you say HUH?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> Concourse Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daveypoo
Commander in Chief #1
Commander in Chief #1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:06 pm    Post subject: Something to make you say HUH? Reply with quote

I read this article and scratched my head after because as good as the intent is, it still comes off as this girl has no clue. Read for yourself:

GAUHATI, India —

Paris Hilton is being praised by conservationists for highlighting the problem of binge-drinking elephants in northeastern India.

Activists said a celebrity endorsement such as Hilton's was sure to raise awareness of the plight of the pachyderms that get drunk on farmers' homemade rice beer and then go on a rampage.

"The elephants get drunk all the time. It is becoming really dangerous. We need to stop making alcohol available to them," the 26-year-old socialite said in a report posted on World Entertainment News Network's Web site. Her comments were picked up by other Web sites and newspapers around the globe.

Last month, six wild elephants that broke into a farm in the state of Meghalaya were electrocuted after drinking the potent brew and then uprooting an electricity pole.

"There would have been more casualties if the villagers hadn't chased them away. And four elephants died in a similar way three years ago. It is just so sad," Hilton was quoted as saying in Tokyo last week. She was in Tokyo to judge a beauty contest.

Her publicist couldn't immediately be reached for comment Tuesday.

Hilton promised to improve her bad-girl image after she completed a jail term in June for violating probation in an alcohol-related reckless driving case.

She announced plans to do charity work in Rwanda, but the trip was postponed until next year.

Sangeeta Goswami, head of animal rights group People for Animals, told The Associated Press: "I am indeed happy Hilton has taken note of recent incidents of wild elephants in northeast India going berserk after drinking homemade rice beer and getting killed."

"As part of her global elephant campaign, Hilton should, in fact, think of visiting this region literally infested with elephants," Goswami said.

Another conservationist said elephant alcohol abuse was just a symptom of the real problem.

"Elephants appear on human settlements ... because they have no habitat left due to wanton destruction of forests," said Soumyadeep Dutta, who heads Nature's Beckon, a leading regional conservation group.

"A celebrity like Hilton must focus her attention on this fact," Dutta said.

Now, is it just me, or does it sound like Paris believes that farmers are leaving beer lying around for the elephants. The quote being "The elephants get drunk all the time. It is becoming really dangerous. We need to stop making alcohol available to them". Yikes, it sure sounds like she's hasn't a clue.

Now, if you were in a country where animals were getting killed due to problems in the area, would you be pleased that Paris Hilton was your spokesperson? I think even the drunken elephants are going "Why her?"

I'm at a loss. Shocked

kmiller15211
Airport Police
Airport Police

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some try to stop hunger, some AIDS, she's focusing on drunk elephants. Baby steps, I guess. It's probably good that she's sticking with something that she's familiar with.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
GrumpyDaddy
UAB's 1st Goofy Challenge Finisher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was something she could relate to. Wink

I mean the bindge drinking and have the brain of an elephant. Other than
that who knows what this girl is thinking. Don't Know
kray
Business Class Ticket Holder
Business Class Ticket Holder

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrumpyDaddy wrote:

Paris thinks???? Ummm
GrumpyDaddy
UAB's 1st Goofy Challenge Finisher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kray wrote:
GrumpyDaddy wrote:

Paris thinks???? Ummm

Thinking for Paris is a relative term as in maybe she has a relative that thinks. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> Concourse Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: